Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oscar-Smoscar

     I'm not sure if I'm just socially inept or if I'm the little kid at the end of the story who says the king has no clothes. But I really don't care a whit about the Oscars. Besides, he's really NOT wearing any clothes.
     Everywhere I turn this weekend, there it is...on the news shows, in the paper, at the grocery store shilling snacks and soda. There's even an iphone app for crying out loud. I get the feeling that I'm alone in the world because I should be focusing on who is nominated and who will win, but I don't remember ever caring and I'm getting more crotchety about it as I age.
     You see, I don't usually like the shows the Oscars pick. I have seen exactly two of the shows up for this year- Inception and Toy Story 3- and only one of those was seen at a theater. Inception was meh. (Spoiler alert) I think he was in reality at the end. If not, it could only mean a sequel is coming and that's almost always a bad thing for movies.
     Toy Story 3 is one of the exceptions to that rule. I liked this sequel. I'm not sure what it says that the only movie I support for an Oscar is an animated kid's movie. Maybe that's why I'm an elementary school teacher.
     I might watch The Social Network sometime in the future. But I fear it will be like the time we got Pirates of Silicon Valley from Netflix then mistakenly sent it back without watching it because we couldn't remember if we had seen it or not. We really need to have that sent again, I guess.
     I like hearing about movies from friends with similar views as mine. But my friends must not be as sophisticated as the Oscar judges. Like me, few of them agree with the picks. Even with friendly recommendations we don't go to see very many movies. We just live the plot lines vicariously through what we get told.
    It's expensive to go to the movies. We pretty much only go for the popcorn, but now we have one of the fancy poppers and our own coconut oil. Before that, we were known to have bought popcorn from a mall movie theater to take home without seeing a movie. It tastes the same with the lights on or off.
     I haven't seen anything in years worth ponying up the cash to go see a movie immediately on release. We have DirectTV, but haven't rented anything in about a year. We also have the aforementioned Netflix, where we have some trouble picking out one movie a week to watch. We don't even care that we have to wait 28 days to see it.
     Back to the Oscars, I can't say I care or even know who half of the people are who are up for an award. I've heard of a few, but don't think most are that great at their craft.  A couple of them, Nicole Kidman and Natalie Portman are pretty good, but I won't give up three plus hours of my life to see if they win.
     I suppose there was a time I watched to see who was wearing what. But now, you can just look at the internet the next day. I know I will never wear anything like their red carpet attire. But, it used to be fun to see what some of the nominees came up with. Now, after Lady GaGa's meat dress at the MTV awards, all other award day fashion will just pale in comparison. Where can you go from there Oscar? Oh yeah, right. You're not wearing any clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment