Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Boot Scootin' BooBoo

     Living anywhere near Dallas has been just a real joy lately (she said, dripping with sarcasm).  We have had to deal  with unheard of amounts of winter weather, rolling power blackouts, and Six Flags over Jerry- otherwise known as the Superbowl. 
     The news grew tiresome as all stations alternated leads. It was always weather or football. The two finally met head to head by the end of last week and football won. Sort of. By now most people have heard of all the issues surrounding the week leading up to the big game so I won't recap. But with the game over, the news is now able to focus on just predicting another round of bad weather. 
     I'm not sure why Texas is facing this much snow or such low temperatures. We've been here off and on for over 26 years without this much winter, and I had almost forgotten how good snow crème tasted. I didn't make any of the delicacy this last snowfall, however. I saw birds fall frozen from the sky into my backyard and it sort of took away the desire to eat stuff from where the birds died. Much too creepy. 
     After four days of no school and being stuck inside my house, I decided to make a run for the mall on the fifth day. I also needed to run away from Facebook and postings from parents of my students wanting me to teach at my home. They were really getting desperate and offering to put my own children through grad school for just a few hours of relief. 
     Now, I'm not much of a mall rat and I needed a goal for my expedition. New boots! I really needed some new ones to wear while on school duty outside on these cold winter mornings.  An explanation of duty for any of you non-school people: that is what we call it when we stand outside before or after school and help students get into or out of our building. This year, I have the honor of the crosswalk at the street level entrance to the campus. But there is no protection from wind and rain. New boots could help!  (Yeah, I know I'm reaching here, but women don't really need much reason to buy new shoes.) 
     So off I went to get new water-repellent boots. Found some in my size on the table and on sale! Sales clerk went to the back room and returned with a box with my size on the box and the soles of each shoe. I paid and happily drove home.  
     Monday morning I proudly wore my new boots to school. Many people, old and young alike, complimented my style and flair. The boots were the type with about half a sheep in the lining and you wear them barefoot. They felt so comfortable and roomy.  
     But as the day went by, my feet began to hurt. I was moving like some old mule, clomping around, making a lot of noise. A couple of other teachers and I walk after school as part of a fitness effort. Around 3:45, I changed into my walking sneakers and joined the group. I was only able to make a few rounds with them and commented that I guessed after all the days stuck at home I was out of shape again. My arches were really hurting by then. 
     I went back to my classroom and was changing back into my new boots when I noticed something. My walking sneakers had always seemed like big boats to me. There was a lot more shoe than foot. But the new boots were even bigger. Much bigger. As I reached to pull the boots on, I noticed a little tag way down in the leg of the boot. I put on my glasses and read. They were 2 sizes too big. I had been wearing shoes two sizes larger all day! I'm amazed I hadn't fallen over.  
     I called the store and they actually laughed! But they did tell me to bring them back and get the right size. While there, the manager told me they figured something was up because they had an empty size 8 box, but no size 8 boots left.  
     We checked the inside tags this time, they were my size- both of them- and made sure there was a right and a left just for good measure. I wore the new, new boots to school the next day and did not make near as much noise. I feel pretty stylin' again, but not very bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment